Saturday, July 14, 2012

My Style Icons Through the Centuries.

            Ever since I can remember, I have been obsessed with style and fashion. No other action than buying a new fashion magazine or watching a movie with great costume designs, can bring me this kind of joy. :)

My style is constantly changing from day to day. Sometimes I’m edgy, sometimes I’m girly and sometimes I’m in between. I am so intrigued on how clothes can make you feel one thing or another just by the way you style them.

I was deleting some of my old photos on my iPad (considering, I am reaching 3,000 any day now..) and I noticed that many of them were inspiration and style icons photographs that I often referred to in my daily musings and shopping endeavors. So, I figured I would share some of my favorite style icons with you. :) They are separated into iconic eras, and I picked my personal favorite from each one.

AND trust me, it was NOT in any sense of the word, easy to pick only five.

1. Audrey Hepburn (1940's-1970's):
This decade was hands down, the easiest to choose a icon for. Audrey Hepburn has to be one of the most iconic person in style. She was stunningly beautiful, an amazing actress, and an overall poised, confident woman. I am so obsessed with her that I actually have a huge canvas on her in my room, and I worship her (not, really but its pretty close). I think through her entire life, she was confident, bubbly and effortlessly-girly, and I often find myself asking myself, “What would Audrey do/wear?” :)

2. Debbie Harry (1971-1980):
           Do you remember me stating that my style is constantly changing? Well, good because this style icon is a perfect example of that.
            Debbie Harry was the main singer of Blondie in the 70’s and brought about a grungier, more edgy look to the woman of that era. She brought leopard print into the spotlight, made messy, tousled hair acceptable, and could wear the color red on her lips with ease. She made the edgy look popular and approachable in her decade. :)

3. Princess Diana (1981-1999):
            I am sure you can easily see how much my style obsessions and loves change so much. Princess Diana was naturally beautiful, elegant, and confident in whatever she did. Her charity work was beyond amazing and her style wasn’t too bad either. I absolutely love her simple sophistication and grace, whether wearing a simple black dress or casual wear.

4. Emma Stone (2000-2012):
            This decade was by far, the hardest for me to choose just one woman to feature. There is an endless list of people I didn’t feature; I mean, this decade has given us endless icons to look up to. Everyone from Miley Cyrus, Danielle Peazer, Lana Del Ray, Jennifer Lawerence, Lily Collins and even Lady Gaga, have graced magazine covers with their easily coveted fashion sense and wardrobes.
            But when it came down to it, I could easily put my finger on one of the names on my list and say, “I want to be just like her,” and I knew she was the one to feature. :)
            Emma Stone is a natural red head (something I envy greatly) and whose style is down-right perfection. Whether it is her simple street style or dressing up for a major red carpet event, she covers the “Best Dressed” section of any fashion magazine, tabloid, or talk show.


          Since I have many years of styling and fashion obsessions to come, I decided to add a "Future Potential" section to this post as well.
          Elle Fanning at the age of 14, has already been amazing icon I look up to. She has graced fashion shoots and ads for Marc Jacobs, Topshop and even Marchesa with an unprecedented
composure and self-confidence. She doesn't care how other people view her, she only cares how she views herself. :) Somthing I should learn from.

In the end, I can easily say I have many style icons that I gasp over when I see them in the magazines. All of their influences shape me into the style icon I wish to become. :)

Stay stylish my lovelies,
mckenna k. xx

1 comment: